Skip to main content

Get Started with Credentials

Before you can do business with the Office of Naval Research (ONR), Department of Navy (DoN), Department of Defense (DoD) and other federal agencies, you may need to obtain certain credentials.

Federal Supply Classification (FSC) and North American Industry Classification Codes (NAICS)

ONR, DoN, DoD and other federal agencies frequently list product and service requirements by FSC Code or NAICS Code. It is helpful to know the FSC and NAICS code(s) applicable to the product(s) or service(s) you are interested in marketing:

Learn about FSC codes

Learn about NAICS Codes

Obtain a Data Universal Number System (DUNS) Number

You must obtain a data universal numbering system (DUNS) number to conduct business with ONR. A DUNS Number is a unique, nine-digit identification sequence that provides an individual identifier for a business entity, while linking corporate family structures together. You can obtain a free DUNS number online.

Register with the System for Award Management (SAM)

You must have an active registration in the System for Award Management (SAM) at to do business with the federal government. SAM is an official U.S. government website. There is no cost to use SAM. You use the site to:

  • Register to do business with the U.S. government
  • Update or renew your entity registration
  • Check status of an entity registration
  • Search for entity registration and exclusion records

You will need the following information to register:

U.S. Registrants:

  1. Your DUNS number, legal business name, and physical address from your Dun & Bradstreet (D&B) record.
  2. Your Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) and taxpayer name associated with your TIN. Review your tax documents from the IRS (such as a 1099 or W-2 form) to find your taxpayer name.
  3. Your bank’s routing number, your bank account number, and your bank account type, i.e. checking or savings, to set up Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT).

International Registrants:

  1. Your NATO Commercial and Government Entity (NCAGE) Code. If you don’t already have one you can request an NCAGE Code online for free from D&B.
  2. Your DUNS number, legal business name, and physical address from your D&B record. Make sure your DUNS information and NCAGE match.

Obtain a NATO Contractor and Government Entity Code

All vendors must obtain a NATO contractor and government entity code (commonly referred to as a CAGE code). A CAGE code is a five-position code that identifies contractors doing business with the federal government, NATO member nations and other foreign governments. The CAGE code is used to support a variety of mechanized systems throughout the government, and provides for a standardized method of identifying a given facility at a specific location. The code may be used for a facility clearance, a pre-award survey, automated bidders' lists, identification of debarred bidders, fast pay processes, etc.

If you are a U.S.-based vendor, you will be assigned a CAGE Code when you register in the SAM. Foreign vendors must contact your country representative.

Fraud Alert

The process for applying for government grants and contracts is free, and all applicable websites will have a .gov or .mil extension. There have been reports of potential awardees being contacted by individuals claiming to be government agents and implying that, in order to claim federal grant or contract money, the awardee must send the agent personal information or money. Government agencies do not use social media or make direct phone calls to solicit, review or make awards. No government staff will call or message you to request money to ensure eligibility for an award.

If you, or individuals you know, are contacted in this way, please pass all information to the FBI's Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3) and local law enforcement authorities. Contact also can be reported to the U.S. General Services Administration (GSA) Inspector General using the GSA Fraud Line (800-424-5210), via e-mail or using the web form.