Skip to main content

Serving with the Reserve Component

Current Navy Reservists may be eligible to serve with the Office of Naval Research Reserve Component (ONR-RC). Successful officer applicants typically are warfare qualified and possess, or are working towards, an advanced technical degree (e.g., master's or doctorate). There are a small number of billets designated specifically for engineering duty officers and oceanographers.

ONR-RC is a flex drilling program with units located in Washington, D.C.; Norfolk, Virginia; Raleigh, North Carolina; Newport, Rhode Island; Mobile, Alabama; Chicago, Illinois; Houston, Texas; Albuquerque, New Mexico; San Diego, California; San Jose, California; and Everett, Washington.

Officers in paygrades O-5 and O-6 are slated to ONR-RC billets via the national APPLY Board. Officers O-4 and below are assigned via the Junior Officer Apply process. Information on APPLY may be access via the Navy Reserve website, Specific information on ONR billets may be requested via email from