The aim of the Auditory Performance Program is to investigate, build and deliver technologies that enhance the Warfighters’ ability to communicate, guide decision-making and to exploit the auditory domain for increased situational awareness. Efforts include methods, models and devices for improving situational awareness and sound localization, audio information processing, noise reduction and enhancing tactical communications.
Research Concentration Areas
- Communication – enhanced tactical communication capabilities and audio information processing
- Perception – audio sensors and networks, auditory cuing, alerting and sound localization for enhanced situational awareness
Research Challenges and Opportunities
- Basic research to investigate acoustic camouflage and design bio-inspired acoustic dampening materials
- Applied research to investigate tactical communication technologies, auditory information processing and sound localization
- Advanced technology development to enhance Warfighter communication and situational awareness, including auditory cuing and alerting, spatial audio, auditory sensors and networks for decision aiding, noise mitigation strategies and improving underwater communication
How to Submit
For detailed application and submission information for this research topic, please refer to our broad agency announcement (BAA) No. N00014-22-S-B001.
Contracts: All white papers and full proposals for contracts must be submitted through FedConnect; instructions are included in the BAA.