The online application period opens every summer (specific dates may be found at https://navalsteminterns.us/nreip).
This 10-week internship program is designed to provide opportunities for undergraduate and graduate students to participate in research under the guidance of an appropriate research mentor at a participating Navy laboratory.
- U.S. citizen (Permanent resident alien status considered at some labs)
- Sophomore, junior, senior or graduate students
- Enrolled at a participating university (a list may be found at https://navalsteminterns.us/nreip)
- All majors relevant to the research interests of the laboratories (lab descriptions may be found at https://navalsteminterns.us/nreip)
Stipends will be paid bi-weekly, May through August. The amounts specified represent the total stipend allowance for the 10-week period as follows:
- $7,000 for new undergraduate student participants (students should possess a minimum of 31 credits by the end of the spring semester)
- $8,500 for returning undergraduate students (students must have completed a full 10 week program in a prior year to receive this level)
- $11,000 for graduate students (students must currently be in graduate school and taking graduate school courses to receive this level)
NREIP interns will be selected based upon academic achievement, personal statements, recommendation, and career and research interests.
ONR Program Manager: Dr. Reginald G. Williams
Point of contact: Dr. Kristen Mitchell
For more information please visit https://navalsteminterns.us/nreip